Front Studio Phone Interface
From WEFT Wiki
These are STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS for taking calls on the air in WEFT's Front Studio; however, this document has not yet been verified in the new front studio (as of 7/31/2008).
NUMBER TO DIAL
Tell callers/guest(s) to call 217-FLY-LIVE.
- Turn board channel 5483 or 6545 on (or remember to turn it on when ready); this is how your listeners and you will hear the caller on the air.
- Put the sliders on 5483 and 6545 board channels around -30-40 (i.e., lower rather than higher), then adjust as needed.
- Make sure your microphone is on, or will be on when ready, or no one will hear you. You will not use the black phone once the caller is on air.
- Find the ON and OFF buttons for the respective phone line(s) on the call-in phone interface control unit.
WHEN THE BLACK PHONE RINGS
- A red light will flash above the line selector button.
- The “ON” button controlling the corresponding phone line on phone interface control unit will flash green.
WAYS TO ANSWER THE BLACK PHONE
- In the booth if (i) you are alone or (ii) you are expecting this call.
- Or have a second person answer outside of the booth and signal which line the caller is on once the caller is ready to go on air.
- Pick up the black phone and greet the caller.
- Tell the caller you are about to put them on air (this is required by law).
- Put the caller on hold and put the phone back on the cradle. You will not need it while the caller is on air.
- On the phone interface control unit, press the “ON” button for the caller’s line.
- This directs the caller’s voice to the 5483 or 6545 channel on the main board. - You will not be able to put this caller on hold after this point. - The caller will be on air unless you turn off the channel that corresponds to the caller’s line on the main board.
- Is the correct board channel for the phone line ON?
- Is your mic is ON?
- The caller is now on air. Talk!
STEPS TO END THE CALL
- Follow these steps when you are finished talking:
- Turn the board channel for the phone line OFF (to avoid broadcasting noise when the caller hangs up).
- If you do not need to talk to the caller any more, press the right-hand side button labeled OFF on phone interface control unit. This will hang up the call.
- If you do need the caller to stay on the line, pick up the black phone, press down the button for the caller’s line, press the “HOLD” button to un-hold. You can now talk to the caller on the black phone. (Make sure the call is not still going out over the air!)
- You are done!